The Australian citizenship test or Point Test for Permanent Residency is easy if you prepare yourself well for it. Migration Agents in Brisbane have specified the following guidelines are given for cracking the exam-
- The interview is held first, and then the written test takes place.
- The test is for the applicants who are between the age of 18 and 59.
- You may have an interview even if you are not required to sit for the test.
- Applicants below 18 and above 60 are also required to appear for an interview.
- The people who are required to appear for the interview will be sent an appointment letter.
As childcare facilities are not available at our centre, parents must carry someone to attend their children when the parents appear for the interview.
The applicants will be checked for the following documents when they appear for the test –
- original documents
- Identity proof
Your eligibility for the test
If you are aged 16 and 17 years old, we will perform the following steps –
- Confirm your identity
- Check your original documents
- Ascertain your basic knowledge of English
- Take an idea of your understanding of the concept of Australian citizenship
- Assess your understanding of the responsibilities and privileges you will enjoy with Australian citizenship
If you are an Applicant aged 60 years old and over
If you get an invitation for an interview, we will
Confirm your identity followed by checking your original documents. We will also assess the following-
Whether you understand the meaning of Australian citizenship
Whether you understand the responsibilities and privileges associated with Australian citizenship
Things to bring to the interview
You will be required to bring the original documents of all the documents the copies of which you submitted with your application. You will also be required to bring all your original identity documents, and other documents we have specified you to bring. In case you don’t get the complete set of documents, we will have to change the interview date. Certified copies will not be accepted.
- The test is to be passed to prove that you possess the following skills and understanding –
- Fundamental knowledge of the English language
- Meaning of becoming an Australian citizen
- Responsibilities and privileges which come with the Australian citizenship
Eligibility for the test
Age should between 18 and 59 on the date of application. It is conducted after we confirm your eligibility and identity for the test.
Who can bypass the test?
The following people can bypass the test –
- People under 18 years old at the time of application
- People at or over 60 at the time of application
- People born to ex- Australian citizen who lost Australian citizenship after they became citizens of another country when they achieved adulthood
People born to an Australian citizen born in Australia (as Australia is now)
People born in Papua before 16 September 1975 to an Australian citizen
Time and location
After assessing your application, we slate out an appointment. The date and time will be informed accordingly. If you want to get it rescheduled, we specify the steps to do that in the letter. If you are required to give the test, we can schedule it right after your interview. However, that will be possible only if you have brought the required documents along with you. The citizenship appointments re held at de department offices in Australian capital cities and offices of some Department of Human Services offices in regional areas.